Our Whole Souul Living Theme for July is Mercy, surely a precious and scarce commodity in 2021. For years, maybe since the beginning, politics and the news is dominated by quick judgement, false certainty, and the drumbeat of fearing strangers. Still, wisdom from the ages is clear; “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” (Jesus) “The willingness to forgive is a sign of spiritual and emotional maturity.” (Gordon Hinkley) “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” (Gandhi) And, “Do not judge yourself harshly. Without mercy for ourselves we cannot love the world.” (Gautama Buddha)
Some questions for individual and group reflection:
- How can the capacity for mercy be increased?
- In politics, will mercy always be defeated by malice?
- From what person or institution could you use some mercy right now? What would that look like? What would change?
- Who in your life is needing mercy from you at this moment?
- What do you need to forgive yourself for, in order to better love the world?